Shooting off fireworks is a fantastic way to celebrate holidays and major events. Unfortunately, however, there are a lot of safety issues associated with fireworks. If you don’t know what you are doing, you could wind up causing serious injuries or fires. Familiarizing yourself with all of the guidelines surrounding safe firework use can help prevent problems. Here are some tips for using fireworks safely in Tennessee:
1. Find out what the laws are for your area. Check with your city or county to find out what the laws are regarding fireworks in your local region. Typically, firework regulations are set locally rather than statewide. These laws are there for a reason. Not only do they help prevent excess noise pollution caused by people shooting off fireworks too early or too late in the day but they can also help prevent fires and other safety issues.
2. Always read the instructions on fireworks before you set them off. Every firework that you buy should have a description of how to set it off printed somewhere on it. Be sure that you fully understand the directions before you light each of the fireworks that you are shooting off.
3. Only shoot off fireworks when you are sober. Alcohol can slow your reflexes and impair your judgment, making you take unnecessary risks. Avoid using alcohol at all costs if you are planning on shooting off fireworks to prevent accidents and injuries.
4. Never allow children to use fireworks without close adult supervision. Sparklers, smoke bombs, and other fireworks that are designed for children should still be used with an adult present. For other types of fireworks, always have an adult light them rather than allowing children to light them on their own.
5. Make sure you have easy access to water. Most fireworks send off a huge spray of sparks. These sparks can wind up causing fires. Keep a garden hose nearby. Alternatively, have buckets of water on hand that you can use to quickly doused the fire before it has a chance to spread.
If you plan on shooting off fireworks, it is your responsibility to learn how to do it safely. Check with the city or county where you plan on setting off fireworks in Tennessee to find out what the local laws are. That way, you can be sure that you are in compliance and that you aren’t doing anything that could get you in trouble.